Tuna Salmon Croquettes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4oz
• 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
• 12 oz canned tuna, packed in water
• 12 oz canned salmon
• 4 stalks green onions, green tips only
• 1 whole lemon, zested
• juice of 1/2 lemon, fresh squeezed
• 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, diced
• 4 sprigs lemon basil or sweet basil
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs, whole wheat
• 1/16 tsp salt
• 1/16 tsp pepper
• 1/2 cup egg substitute
• 2 Tbsp canola oil
In a small sauce pan, cook the Vidalia onion until translucent.
In a large mixing bowl, place the drained tuna and salmon meat.
Fold in the cooked onions. To this croquette mixture, add the green
onions, lemon zest, lemon juice, green and yellow bell peppers,
lemon basil, 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, salt pepper, and egg substitute.
Form the mixture into six 4-oz patties, and then sprinkle the remaining
bread crumbs over the patties. Gently press the bread crumbs into
the patties. Repeat on all sides.
Heat the oil in a preheated sauté’ pan over medium-high heat. Add
the patties and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the patties for
3-4 minutes on each side or until done (150ºF).
The Family Style Soul Food Diabetes Cookbook p. 53
Copyright © 2006 American Diabetes Association
From The Family Style Soul Food Diabetes Cookbook
Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association.